Direct to Full Amateur Licence Syllabus – Publication

We are pleased to announce the publication of the new Direct to Full examination syllabus.

Enrolments for the Direct to Full examinations will open in January 2023, six months after the publication of the new syllabus.

The examination is specifically aimed at aspiring amateurs who are already competent in related technical subjects. However, it will be open to all, and Foundation and Intermediate amateurs are free to enrol for the Direct to Full examination or continue along the three-tier route as they wish. No credit transfer between the two routes will be possible.

Although the Direct to Full syllabus draws heavily on the existing syllabus it is a separate examination with a different syllabus item numbering scheme. In particular the Operating section has moved to Section 2 after licensing. That is to facilitate the split marking of the examination. Part 1, Licensing and operating comprises at total of 18 questions with a pass mark of 14 (77.7%). Part 2, the remaining more technical topics, comprises 57 questions with a pass mark of 36 (63.2%). Two and a half hours are allowed for both parts which must be passed in one sitting.

The only new item, compared to the three-tier syllabus version 1.5 which introduced EMF (electromagnetic field) compliance, is the addition of aperture antennas in section 5D1.

We would like to thank everyone who contributed to the creation of the Direct to Full syllabus including the Examinations and Syllabus Review Group, the Examination Standards Committee, all who participated in the consultation exercise and the technical and training specialists who provided detailed feedback.

The syllabus can be found at:

73s, Tony, G8PBH


ESC Chair

A Direct Entry to Full Licence: RSGB Consultation

By Tony Kent, G8PBH, Examination Standards Committee Chair

At the beginning of 2021 the ESC/ESRG consulted the UK Amateur radio community on the draft Direct to Full (D2F) syllabus. Over 1,200 responses were received.

About 86% of respondents felt the scope of the syllabus (range of topics covered) was appropriate for D2F, with 8% thinking it was too narrow and 6% thinking it was too broad. On the question about the standard (level of difficulty) of the syllabus, 80% thought it was about right, the remaining 20% split equally between too easy and too hard. A clear majority, 75%, thought the proposed number of exam questions is appropriate, while 17% thought there were too few and 8% too many…………… MORE.

Members see POST#2513 .

Snips – News For Scotland – 21st February

The news headlines:

  • BBC reports Lincoln Short Wave Centenary
  • Tonight @ 8 looks at propagation tools
  • Film-maker seeks funding

GB2RS Script – HERE .


Details of all known nets in Scotland are collated by RSGB Regional Rep Tony, MM0TMZ in association with Jack, GM4COX and the West of Scotland ARS’s Website – RADIO NETS .

Remember that you can now listen to the GB2RS Scottish news every Sunday nationwide on DMR Scotland Talk Group 23559 and in the Vale of Leven using the new MB6IDG simplex gateway on 431.0875MHz CC5, and is user activated for Fusion, D-Star and BM DMR. More info at


UK Amateur Radio Exam Report Released

Colin Butler

The RSGB Examinations Standards Committee (ESC) report covering 2019 is now available to DOWNLOAD .

The report contains statistics for the both the RSGB amateur radio exams and the Air Cadets Organisation (ACO) exam which Ofcom considers to be equivalent to the RSGB Foundation.

Ofcom has been concerned about the participation of women in amateur radio and STEM disciplines. They requested the ESC to publish figures for the number of women taking the exams. Unfortunately, the results are disappointing with only 9.9% of all exams being taken by women.

The RSGB Relaxes Rules For Practical Assessments

Please note that the RSGB has relaxed the rules for practical assessments as a prerequisite for amateur radio licence examinations. These assessments have been suspended for the
foreseeable future during the COVID-19 crisis. Foundation candidates can now sit their exam entirely on line. At present arrangements for Intermediate and Full examinations are currently under review. For further information go to

For those of our listeners who want to buff up before taking the foundation exam then Billy MacFarlane of the Stirling Club has produced an on-line training programme with 43 lessons and this is available to use free of charge at

© 2019-2023 WoSARS.Club